Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Moon River and Me

Okay, so I left you guys last time to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's and boy did it deliver!

Seriously, I don't really know what it is, but I'll try justify my sudden love for the movie. I guess a lot of it has to do with Audrey Hepburn. You hear people talk about that X-factor and if there's anyone that has it, it's Audrey. She's definitely star material, no wonder she was as revered as she was.

So for those of you who have seen the movie, I resumed watching just after the part where Paul gets a cheque for $50.00 in the mail for selling the first of his books. I guess after that bit is where the mushy stuff happens, where they do these fun things and fall in love.

The blurb off the back of the DVD cover says, "Guessing who the right man for Holly is easy. Seeing how that romance blossoms is one of the enduring delights of this gem-like treat..." I remember reading this and being sceptical "Oh all movies say something like that" and I still wasn't really sold during the first part of the movie, although I was quite taken in by Audrey Hepburn. Then after finishing off the movie, I got fully reeled in.

There's a part where Holly is having a nightmare and that was the bit where I kinda cringed, but really, having those cruddy lines weren't easy. Despite that I thought Audrey Hepburn played the rest of her part really well, you can see that she's that classy, outlandish type, but has an inner softness - and playing the facade of a character is hard enough, but inducing the audience to believe in the character's inner persona takes true talent.

Another interesting tid-bit is that the film is based on Truman Capote's novella (the writer that the recent movie Capote was based on) of the same name. I'll be sure to borrow the book and contrast it against the movie.

After watching the movie, I googled Audrey Hepburn and found out she was really nice in real life too. An ambassador for UNICEF for a long period of time, Audrey unfortunately passed away in 1993 because of colon cancer, only aged 63.

So to summarise my main points:
- Audrey Hepburn is amazing; beautiful (I even read somewhere that she was voted in as the most beautiful woman in history), and with talent to boot!
- the film is a must for you romantics out there! Even if you're not, check it out coz you might just be turned!
- as a side note, the song "Moon River" was made famous when Audrey sings it in one scene, check that out too coz it's really sweet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home