Saturday, March 19, 2005

The 4 Stooges

It's official people, I have bloggers block. Right now, I don't know what this blog is going to be about so don't expect anything. Furthermore, it's almost 1am in the morning and I have a pressing issue on my mind...which is work at 12pm tomorrow, or should I say today.

I'm writing in here, despite the odd hour and having absolutely nothing engaging to say because I don't want my blog to die! I don't want it to be just another statistic. I had so many hopes and dreams for this blog but alas, 'tis not to be. If I were to blog only quality posts, I reckon I'd have like 4 posts in here haha.

But enough of that. I'll just outline what's on my mind and hopefully that'll keep you critics at bay.

Firstly, it's that time in my life where I'm starting to make inroads into proper adulthood, not the supposed adulthood that you think you reach when you're 18 or 21, s**t dude, that's nothing compared to when you actually have to think about working full time. That's where I'm at.

Today I spent most of the day looking at more companies and starting those online applications, uploading my resume and gifting away my personal details. It seems almost an anticlimax of sorts because when you're in high school thinking, "One day I'm going to be working and earning heaps of money" you tend to imagine walking in a crisp business suit into a sleek-looking office building amongst hundreds of alpha males and females dressed in black on 6-figure salaries. Then you get into uni and although you pretty much still have the same vision, you get that much more apprehensive about facing "the real world". Apprehensive because you realise that soon, maybe not now, maybe not for a few years, you will be thrown into the rat race, far away from the comfort zone that is hanging out with mates during the day, having breaks when you want to and getting your mum to write you a sick note if you're not feeling up for it.

Now back to my earlier observation about the application being an anticlimax. The point I'm trying to make is that I think we often forget what happens in between. Looking forward to a life of luxury certainly didn't show me how many hours of study and stress I had to endure, not to mention the arduous recruitment process and having to do the "corporate mingle" to make sure top management recognise you. Personally, even if I make it in the end and have a comfortable life, where's the sense in being financially free to do whatever you please when you're too old to enjoy it? That sucks.

So to further compound the misery I've so far managed to heap on you, I will offer you a pessimistic theory that life has 4 stages:

1. S**t all
This is when you're an infant. All you do is, well pretty much s**t all. And s**t...all over the place.
2. Fun and games
I am departing here very soon, basically encompasses primary school, high school and uni where you develop your character and get the chance to be wild.
3. The slog
Hard work. The "end of days" if you will. Everything from here on is like black and white TV, while you have your moments, there's nothing that can replace colour.
4. Death preparation
After you retire from work, all you're really doing is slowing down to get ready for bed...the death bed. So long, farewell, it's time to say goodnight.

Anyway, I'm really buggered now. Apologies for the sombre nature of this entry, say hi to your mum for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a tearjerker of an entry. so tragic that it's almost poetic...except for the fact that the future can have alot in store, if you want it to. experience the world with all your senses!

Monday, April 04, 2005 2:17:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home