Saturday, September 04, 2010

Music To My Ears

I've thought about putting this blog to rest. But I realised that it might not ever die off. I can write as often or sporadic as I like. That's the beauty of the online domain.

So I was enjoying the absolute luxury of lying in bed after 8am on a very wet Saturday morning and turned to my iPhone. Realised that I had some albums on there that I hadn't listened to in a long time. I worked out that I forgot about them because I don't use my iPhone to listen to music much, and that the original albums I had have been loaned out to friends, never to be seen again (if you're one of my friends with a CD or DVD of mine, could you please kindly return it? Thank you in advance!).

I listened to some Thirsty Merc and John Mayer and then remembered about this blog. I'd like to therefore make an attempt at naming my favourite 10 modern secular songs. I also discovered that to make the top 10, they had to not only be musically attractive, aesthetically pleasing songs, but they were mostly during my teen years. I reasoned that as I grew older, I had less emotional attachment to songs pertaining to circumstances in my life - in other words I'm less melancholy than my teen angsty years.

In no particular order, here you go.

Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Bedtime - Usher
My Completeness - Thirsty Merc
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Champagne Supernova - Oasis
Arithmetic - Brooke Fraser
Lullabye - Billy Joel
Reptilia - The Strokes
The End Has No End - The Strokes

Honourable mentions:
Stars - Switchfoot
3x5 - John Mayer
Great Indoors - John Mayer
Somebody to Love - Queen
You Make Me Wanna - Usher
Wonderwall - Oasis
Only Hope - Mandy Moore
On Bended Knee - Boyz II Men
When The Weather Is Fine - Thirsty Merc
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
My Friends - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

My favourite music video is still Star Guitar - Chemical Brothers. I've been a big Michael Gondry fan ever since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home